Sunday, May 19, 2013

Jammin'

The world of jam bands is beyond my comprehension. Fan adoration is steadfast and so is the touring schedule of the performers. Each band could stop making new music now and their tours would continue to sell well because each show would still be different and they would do things they have never done before.

I myself am infatuated with a couple specific bands because when they have their sound they nail it and then jam on that sound to the umpteenth degree. They are masters at what they do and they know that they have the audience.

The closest thing I have seen personally to a jam band is Dave Matthews Band (twice) and while they are formidable in their own right, they are not exactly associated with the core group of jam bands that I have been listening to lately. Their songs are just about good vibes and good tunes. In some ways I find myself leaning towards the southern rock jam bands because have more gumption in them, more internal fortitude like their heart is in the guitar strings.

With that said, festivals like Wakarusa and Mountain Jam are the haven for great jams bands and why not? The culture and philosophy of these things are just like the music loose, improvised, fun, and filled with strong connections.

The best part for me is it seems that the amount of music to consume is endless. Whether it is live recordings or studio albums, they are never done making more for the fans.

The way I see it the face of jam music is Warren Haynes. This summer alone he is touring with his band Gov't Mule as well as the Allman Brothers Band which he joined in 1989 until 1997 as well as 2000 to present. He is also playing with various symphonic orchestra to play the music of Jerry Garcia. You know, because he can.

To conclude, here are the jam bands I flock to:

1. Phish
2. Gov't Mule
3. The Black Crowes
4. Tedeshi Trucks Band
5. Dave Matthews Band
6. Umphrey's McGee
7. Railroad Earth
8. My Morning Jacket (less now, but their Bonnaroo sets show otherwise)
9. Galactic

So much music to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment