Monday, November 4, 2013

Gotta Have Good Tourmates


I'm a fan of music first and foremost. That's the way I look at music initially. Anything that makes me happy as a fan will make me happy as a critic. As a fan, something that really makes me appreciate what a band does for a fan is filling the bill. Picking cohesive tour mates can really set the tour on fire.

Filling the bill can get the headliner's fans amped before they get on stage. Having fans in the palm of a band's hand from start to finish is hard to do so with the right opening band, they are already locked and loaded for the headliner. Sometimes a great bill has three or four bands as opposed to the normal two, but I say the more the merrier. 

Another benefit for a good opening act is it will bring fans of the opening act to the headliner's show. More bands equals more fan bases for the headliner's music because if fans were wise they would stay till the end. They already paid for the ticket. 

Doing this can also benefit the fan and opening band in a more inclusive way. A fan might show up at the headliner's show, a band they already like, and totally get blown away by the opening act, a band they had never heard of. This has happened to me many times--so much so that I buy their album. 

The best example of this for me was when I saw Passion Pit in Convington, Kentucky just outside of Cincinnati. When I bought the tickets, they had not even announced the openers yet. They ended up being Youngblood Hawke and Hollerado. I bought the Hollerado disc at the show and later got Youngblood Hawke's EP in Indianapolis when they opened for GROUPLOVE. I play those bands all the time now and had not even heard of them before the Passion Pit show. 

A full bill is underestimated and can benefit all parties involved. Headliners needs to put thought into who opens for them because it can bring more fans and hype to the show. They also must make sure the opening band can apply to their bands too. Gotta work together to help yourself. 

Recent and upcoming loaded tours to note:
Walk the Moon w/ The Mowgli's and smallpools
New Politics w/ Sleeper Agent and Magic Man
Fitz & the Tantrums & Capital Cities w/ The Beat Band
Atlas Genius w/ Family of the Year and The Colourist
The Orwells & Fidlar w The Kingston Springs

Local Louisville spotlight:
Iron Bells w/ Buffalo Rodeo, Vice Tricks, and Smoke Shop Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment