Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Everything is Derivative Sometimes

We are but a collection of what has come before us. We can never fully be original. It's purely impossible. We either recreate something that happened before or we think we are doing something original and in reality, all we can do is wrap a new idea with unconscious influences. It may not be a bad thing nor does it mean that you will be unsuccessful.

In music, the really landmark artists, those that will be remembered for generation, still are but a collection of influences. They just find a way to make it seem their own.

Think about one of the greatest bands of all time.
Led Zeppelin: Robert Plant was living up to his heroes in American early blues. Jimmy Page was  a master skiffler (skifflist?).

As I notice younger bands, I can see exactly who they listened to when they were younger. This blog post was influenced by the Japandroids and their love of Blink 182.

I played Dawes for my dad once. He asked if it was Jackson Browne. I said Dad, Jackson Browne sings on one of these tracks. He said yeah I bet he does. No need to tell me I'm right.

In The Concord, I called The Dirty Guv'nahs the minor league affiliate of The Black Crowes. But think about it.

I can imagine Nate Ruess of fun. worshipping the ground Freddie Mercury walked on.
The Wild Feathers don't mind admitting that their record is a 2013 greatest hits of their influences like The Band, The Rolling Stones, and Ryan Adams. Tame Impala is The Beatles if they found Black Sabbath tapes while still playing Sgt. Pepper

As much as we try, artists cannot help but replicate what comes before them. That's across the board. I guess the question is what is original. Whose ideas in the beginning shaped what we do now? Or are we all just adding our own technique to what already came?

I leave with The Kingston Springs doing their best surf rock impersonation.

Sweet Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment